Cherry & Ginger Collins
This Cherry Cocktail Recipe is Ice Cold Summertime Refreshment
Cherry Sorbet, Lime, Gin and Ginger – The Perfect Way to Beat the Heat
A Simple Cherry Cocktail Recipe With a Big Payoff
- Style of Cocktail – Collins
- Glass – Highball Glass
- Ice – Cherry Sorbet
This drink is a simple gin sour made with lime juice. Pour it over cherry sorbet and top it with a good ginger beer for all kinds of greatness.
I am a big fan of making summer drinks with fresh fruit sorbets. Making a sorbet is quick and easy. A spirit base, some sorbet, topped with bubbles is a great formula for summer drinking. Perfect for waiting on the charcoal grill to heat up.
Cherry, Ginger & Lime
This is a gin based cherry cocktail recipe, but it is working with some pretty strong flavors. Pick a gin with some backbone. A good London Dry style is what you want. Delicate botanicals and restrained juniper notes will get lost in the mix.
Making a sorbet is a lot easier than it sounds. The process is simple, you make a syrup and freeze it. You can add egg white, alcohol, or a few other things to adjust the texture if you like. It’s almost easier not to use an ice cream maker. Less clean up. Blend it quickly when it is nearly frozen to break up big ice crystals. Let it freeze.
I like some heat in my ginger beer. A spicy ginger beer works well here, but adjust to your taste. Royal Jamaican is one of my favorites. Or, you can always brew your own.
You will have to adjust the sugar to your taste. You will get some sweetness from the sorbet. Scale back on the simple syrup and adjust this cherry cocktail recipe your taste.
Cherry Cocktail Recipe – Slushy Cherry & Ginger Collins
For the cocktail:
- 2ozLondoin Dry gin
- 1ozlime juice
- ½ozsimple syrup
- Cherry sorbet
- Ginger beer
- Lime wedge and mint sprig for garnish
For the Cherry Sorbet:
- 4cupspitted sour cherries
For the Cocktail:
- Pour the gin, lime juice and simple syrup into a shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 10 - 15 seconds.
- Fill a chilled glass with cherry sorbet.
- Strain and pour contents of shaker into glass.
- Top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with mint and lime.
For the Cherry Sorbet:
- Puree cherries, water and sugar in a blender until smooth.
- Strain liquid through a sieve and discard solids.
- Pour syrup into a shallow dish and place in freezer until nearly frozen. (4-6 hours)
- Take slushy liquid out of freezer. Pour into a blender and blend until smooth, but not thawed. No more than 10 seconds.
- Place sorbet into a airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.