Homemade Root Beer Recipe
This is a relatively simple root beer syrup recipe. The flavor definitely leans toward the anise and licorice end of the spectrum. This recipe makes an easy homemade root beer.If you haven’t made root beer before this is a good place to start. It has fewer ingredients than a lot of homemade root beers. It is also a root beer syrup which makes it simpler to work with.
You can make a simple root beer by adding carbonated water. I like to use the syrup itself as a cocktail syrup. Adding other ingredients to the mix brings more complex flavors into play. I have used it successfully in bourbon and gin cocktails.
This is also a good place to start with building your own root beer syrup recipe. You can try adding sarsaparilla, wintergreen, or ginger. You can certainly adapt this recipe to make a fermented soda.
Star Anise and Licorice Root Beer Syrup
- 4 1/2cupswater
- 4ounceschopped licorice root
- 4star anise pods
- 1vanilla beancut in three pieces
- 4cupsdemerara sugar
- Combine the water, licorice root, star anise, cloves and vanilla bean in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Let simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Stir the brown sugar in and let simmer until dissolved.
- Let syrup simmer for about two minutes.
- Remove from heat. Allow to cool and strain.