Rhubarb is an intensely complex and bitter set of flavors. It works well in a broad range of cocktail recipes. Gin and rhubarb are a perfect pairing. The gimlet is a great format for this rhubarb cocktail recipe. It is a minimalist drink that delivers on flavor.
This recipe appear in the Cocktail Monkey Guide to Summer Cocktails.
Rhubarb Cocktail Recipe
- 1 ½ oz. London Dry gin
- ½ oz. rhubarb cordial
- 1 grapefruit twist to garnish
Combine gin and cordial in shaker filled with ice.
Shake to combine.
Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
Garnish with a grapefruit twist.
This rhubarb cordial will work in a number of rhubarb cocktails.
- 1 pound trimmed fresh rhubarb
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound granulated sugar
- Dice the rhubarb.
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Bring the sugar and water to a simmer.
- Add the rhubarb and cook over medium heat until the rhubarb begins to break down.
- Gently mash the cooked rhubarb to break the veins and release the flavors.
- Mix the cooked rhubarb in a blender.
- Strain and funnel in a bottle.
- Store in the fridge.