Classic Martinez Cocktail
A classic Martinez cocktail is one of my favorite drinks. It sits nicely between a Martini and a Manhattan. It may have been the inspiration for one or both of those cocktails.
I like to walk that line a little more closely and use a barrel aged gin in a Martinez cocktail. The gin picks up oak and whiskey lactones from the barrel. The resulting gin is mellower. It will still retain its characteristic botanical gin nature, but it also has a hint of whiskey.
- 2ozOld Tom Gin
- 1ozSweet Vermouth
- ¼ozLuxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 2dashes Angostura bitters
- 1dash orange bitters
- Pour all ingredients into a mixing glass filled with ice and stir for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into an chilled coupe glass.
- Twist a swath of lemon peel over the drink and drop in to garnish.
Visit CocktailMonkey.ca to learn more about classic cocktail recipes.