This cocktail recipe is a variation on the Circle of the Sun. The Circle of the Sun was developed by Jason Patz, bartender at William & Graham in Denver, CO. I imagine the name refers to the rising sun on the Japanese flag as the drink features Japanese whisky, specifying Hukushu.The Curvature of the Earth is a variation on this excellent cocktail that substitutes Kentucky Bourbon for Japanese Whisky and Lillet Blanc for dry vermouth. The sweeter bourbon and Lillet give this cocktail a slightly mellower character. Perfect for porch sitting on a hot humid night.
This is a strong, spirit forward cocktail with a range of fruit flavors that take the heat off of a cocktail that is heavy on spirits. Grape, orange and pear flavors blend comfortably into a fresh take on a bourbon forward cocktail.
Curvature of the Earth - Cocktail Recipe
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce Lillet blanc
- 1/2 ounce pear eau de vie
- 1 orange twist
- Fill a mixing glass with ice.
- Combine the the bourbon, Lillet and pear eau de vie in the mixing glass.
- Stir well and stain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Squeeze the orange twist over the glass and use as garnish.