“The zenith of man’s pleasure…the very dream of drinks.”
The Mint Julep is designed for one thing. In the pre-air conditioning south it was the best way to cool off. A pile of crushed ice, bourbon and cooling mint served in a frosted silver cup. What better way to beat the heat?
More people drink these at the Kentucky Derby than anywhere else. Over 120,000 of them in one day. It is part of the Derby tradition these days. But it can get crushing hot in Louisville in early may. The stands at Churchill Downs are no exception. A mint julep is the perfect bit of relief.
- 2 oz. Bourbon
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup
- 1 bunch of mint
- Crush mint in your hand to release the fragrant mint oils.
- Rub mint around the rim of a julep glass.
- Drop mint into glass and fill with crushed ice.
- Pour bourbon and simple syrup into mixing glass filled with ice.
- Stir for 10-15 seconds to mix.
- Strain into julep glass.
- Garnish with a large sprig of mint.
For More on Selecting a Great Boubon check out our Bourbon Guide.
If you want to learn more about classic cocktails take a look at our cocktail recipes.